Synonyms: Cytisus monpsessulana, C. racemosus, C. canariensis, Gensita monspessulana, Teline monspessulana
Common names: French broom; soft broom; canary broom; Montepellier broom
Genista monspessulana (French broom) is a perennial shrub (family Fabaceae) found in the Coast Ranges, Sierra Nevada foothills, Transverse Ranges, Channel Islands and San Francisco Bay area. French broom was introduced as a landscape ornamental, along with Scotch and Spanish broom. French broom is an aggressive invader, forming dense stands that exclude native plants and wildlife. Broom is unpalatable to most livestock except goats, so it decreases rangeland value while increasing fire hazards. These leguminous plants produce copious amounts of seed, and may resprout from the root crown if cut or grazed.int(67190) Cal-IPC Rating: High
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed RIC Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- One Tam unites around Marin’s mountain. Kesel, Rachel. Vol 24, Issue 3
- Celebrating park stewards. Cal-IPC. Vol 24, Issue 2
- Weeds and climate resilience in Sierra meadows. Brusati, Elizabeth; Johnson, Doug. Vol 24, Issue 1
- Eradication in the central Sierra. Cal-IPC. Vol 24, Issue 1
- Scotch broom gall mite: a new partner in broom management . Oneto, Scott. Vol 23, Issue 3
- Weed biological control agents approved for California. Pitcairn, Michael J.; Smith, Lincoln; Moran, Patrick. Vol 22, Issue 1
- From Chinese Cleavers to Remote Sensing: An interview with two generations of weed workers – Greg and Gavin Archbald. Darin, Gina. Vol 19, Issue 2
- Prioritizing Regional Response to Invasive Plants in the Sierra Nevada. Brusati, Elizabeth; Morawitz, Dana; Powell, Cynthia. Vol 19, Issue 2
- Pseudo-replication, no replication, and a complete lack of control: In praise of dirty data for weed managers. Klein, Janet. Vol 14, Issue 4
- Recommended action on invasive ornamentals. Cal-IPC. Vol 14, Issue 1
- Waipuna(TM) not? Hot foam good for more than lattes. Tu, Mandy. Vol 12, Issue 3
- Exploring alternative methods for vegetation control and maintenance along roadsides. Young, Steve L.. Vol 10, Issue 4
- International broom initiative: A comprehensive broom and gorse biological control effort. CalEPPC. Vol 09, Issue 2
- Fort Ord readies the troops for war – on weeds!. Fry, Virginia. Vol 06, Issue 1
- French broom seedbank depletion: A micro-experiment on summer die-off. Archbald, Greg. Vol 04, Issue 1
- Highways as corridors of dispersal. Madison, John. Vol 04, Issue 1
- Marin supervisors establish policy against non-natives. Griffith, Quentin. Vol 03, Issue 2
- Exotic pest plants of greatest ecological concern in California September 1994. Cal-IPC. Vol 02, Issue 4
- A French broom control method. Archbald, Greg. Vol 02, Issue 1
- California Exotic Pest Plant Council draft list exotic plants of greatest concern October 1993. CalEPPC. Vol 01, Issue 4
- Working group reports on weed control methods and applications for Arundo, french broom, german ivy, hoary cress, yellow starthistle, and pampasgrass. Cal-IPC. Vol 01, Issue 3
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Origins of invasive French broom. Kleist, Annabelle C.; Jasieniuk, Marie (2010)
- Genetic identity and phylogenetic relationships of invasive brooms in California. Kleist, Annabelle; Jasieniuk, Marie (2009)
- Sinapis alba seed meal as a pre-emergent control for French broom (Genista monspessulana) seedlings. Moore, Ken; Bossard, Carla (2009)
- Urban invasions: Analyzing recovery of habitat fragments in San Francisco following the removal of Genista monspessulana and Delairea odorata. Kesel, Rachel (2009)
- The efficacy of alternative herbicides on non-native invasive woody broadleaf perennials. Klein, Janet; Hoglander, Cerissa (2007)
- Pseudo-replication, no replication, and a complete lack of control: In praise of dirty data for weed managers. Klein, Janet (2006)
- Salmon River cooperative noxious weed program. Flarity, Shannon (2006)
- A test of repeat flaming as a control for poison hemlock (Conium maculatum), Cape ivy (Delairea odorata), and periwinkle (Vinca major). Bossard, Carla C.; Moore, Ken; Chabre, Cammy; Woolfolk, Andrea; King, Jorden; Johanek, Dana (2005)
- Effects of single pass flaming on previously brush-cut Genista monspessulana. Klein, Janet; Fiala, Shannon (2005)
- Trees and shrubs discussion group. Heath, Mark; Moore, Ken; Unger, Petra (2005)
- A gardener’s dream, a land manager’s nightmare: The spread of horticultural invasive plants into the wildlands of Santa Catalina Island. Knapp, John (2004)
- Fire working group. Clines, Joanna; DiTomaso, Joe; Goode, Suzanne (2004)
- Flaming: A new tool for wildland weed control. Moore, Ken (2004)
- Weeds in wildland/urban interface fuelbreaks: Challenges and opportunities. Klein, Janet (2004)
- Marin-Sonoma Weed Management Area: Putting the “we” in weed management. Gluesenkamp, Daniel (2003)
- Too much of a good thing: Restoration of native biodiversity following soil nitrogen enrichment. Corbin, Jeffrey D.; D_Antonio, Carla M. (2003)
- Eradicating, educating, and enticing: Having fun with the war on weeds. Lienk, Laura Lee (2002)
- Factors affecting successful control of French and Scotch broom and restoration of native communities in coastal California grasslands. Alexander, J.M.F.; D'Antonio, C.M. (2000)
- War on weeds – invasive weed education and outreach program. Briscoe, Emily; Anderson, Thor (2000)
- Fire on the mountain: A land manager’s manifesto for broom control. Swezy, Michael; Odion, Dennis C. (1997)
- A test of removal/control techniques for French broom. Bossard, Carla C.; Alvarez, M.; Archbald, G.; Gibson, R.; Gluesenkamp, D.; Grotkopf, E.; Jones, S.; Nelson, L. (1995)
- Use of fire to control French broom. Boyd, David (1995)
Other Genista monspessulana Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- CDFA - California official noxious weeds.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Bugwood - National database from the Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health at the University of Georgia.