Synonyms: Aira capensis L.f., Ehrharta ascendens Schrad, E. auriculata Steud., E. geniculata (Thunb) Thunb., E. laxiflora Schrad., R. ovata Nees, E. paniculataSw.ex Poir, E. undulata Nees ex Trin., Melica festucoides Licht ex Trin., Melica geniculata Thunb., Trochera calycina (Sm. P. Beauv,)
Common names: purple veldtgrass; African veldtgrass; perennial Veldt grass
Ehrharta calycina (purple veldtgrass) is a perennial grass (family Poaceae) found in disturbed grasslands, roadsides and coastal habitats in California’s south and central west regions. Purple veldtgrass is spreading very rapidly in the central coast region, where it invades dunes and shrublands. It was originally imported to California for use as a pasture grass and for erosion control. Purple veldtgrass displaces native vegetation and converts coastal scrub and chaparral communities to grasslands. It resprouts after fires and may increase fire frequency.int(67153) Cal-IPC Rating: High
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed RIC Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- What? Another Ehrharta? Oh, no!!. Brey, Claire. Vol 04, Issue 2
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Do invasive grasses employ different water use and rooting strategies than a native chaparral shrub? Phillips, Michala (2016)
- Yellow starthistle management with grazing, mowing, and competitive plantings. Thomsen, Craig D.; Williams, William A.; Vayssieres, Marc P. (1996)
Other Ehrharta calycina Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.
- Bugwood - National database from the Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health at the University of Georgia.