Synonyms: B. rigidus, B. rigidus var gussonei, B. gussonei
Common names: ripgut brome; great brome; ripgut grass
Bromus diandrus (ripgut brome) is an annual grass (family Poaceae) found throughout California and other western states. Ripgut brome is one of several European annual grasses that have displaced much of the native grass throughout California. Ripgut brome becomes very dry and flammable during the dry season, increasing wildfire frequency. Increased wildfire frequency leads to conversion of shrubland and woodland to grassland. Ripgut brome is reported to hybridize with two other invasive grasses: downy brome (Bromus tectorum) and red brome (Bromus madritensis). Brome seeds may spread great distances via water and soil movement and by clinging to animals and people.Cal-IPC Rating: Moderate
Plant Assessment Form - Information gathered by Cal-IPC on the impacts, rate of spread, and distribution of invasive plants in California. Does not include management information.
Weed Management Notes
- Management Notes - Information on management techniques and effectiveness from the University of California Cooperative Extension’s Weed Research & Information Center.
Cal-IPC Newsletter Articles
- The butterfly effect. Trumbo, Joel. Vol 20, Issue 2
- USFWS and PG&E partner to protect species. Terrazas, Louis. Vol 20, Issue 1
- “Conservation Across Borders” in San Jose. Cal-IPC. Vol 14, Issue 2
- Exploring alternative methods for vegetation control and maintenance along roadsides. Young, Steve L.. Vol 10, Issue 4
- The use of fire for yellow starthistle (Centaurea solstitialis) management and restoration of native grasslands at Sugarloaf Ridge State Park. Hastings, Marla; DiTomaso, Joe. Vol 04, Issue 1
- Portrait of an invader II: The ecology and management of Carpobrotus edulis. Albert, Marc E.. Vol 03, Issue 2
- Control of exotic plants in an herbaceous understory. Perala, Christine; Hoover, Doris A.; Parra-Szijj, E.A.. Vol 01, Issue 3
Cal-IPC Symposium Presentations
Presentations are linked where available. Where a presentation is not available, find more information by reading the abstract in the Cal-IPC Symposia Archive.
- Integrating weed control and trait-screened seed mixes to reduce the risk of postfire type conversion from coastal sage scrub to annual grasslands. Teller, Noah (2019)
Other Bromus diandrus Information
- CalPhotos - Images of plants taken mostly in California.
- Calflora - See the distribution of this species on Calflora's map of California.
- CalWeedMapper - Distribution information with ability to determine regional priorities.
- Jepson Online Interchange for California Flora - Information on taxonomy, biology, and distribution from UC Berkeley's Jepson Herbarium.
- USDA PLANTS Database - Federal database with information on identification and distribution, and links to websites in individual states.